Thursday 6 April 2017

PPP / Self Branding / Metal Business Cards

For my business cards this year I wanted to use a different material than just paper. The idea I came up with was using metal. The concept behind using metal for my business cards is that it's strong, lasting and will leave an impression, hopefully just like I will as a designer. It's much more likely to get people talking and would be easier to hold onto rather than lose in a bag or a pocket. 

Limitations

May be heavy and could be sharp around the edges 
Can't just print design onto it simply


Positives

Looks interesting!
Doesn't rip or decompose / can handle pressure
Leaves a lasting impression
Different 
Conceptual 


I knew that I wanted to somehow get my design onto the cards but wasn't sure how, but assumed it could be engraved. I headed down to the metal workshop to discuss this idea further. They were not able to do engraving down there, but I was advised that I will need to source the metal, cut it to size firstly, and then the best way to get the design onto the card will be to sandblast each one. To do this I need to buy etch resist vinyl and lasercut the design, then pick out the parts I want to be sandblasted, the covered section will not be touched.


The business cards will be standard size 85x55mm and made from 1mm aluminum sheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment